Chautauqua School of Art Residency Program application deadline is 3/2!
Our program is a contemporary, nimble, intergenerational residency open to as young as juniors in college to those who haven’t received national recognition of their work.
Here are some brief points to summarize who we are and what we offer:
- The School is an incubator of inclusive and expansive programming in the visual arts composed of workshops and one-on-one time with mentors covering all media. We encourage collaboration, exploration and experimentation. It is a brave place to speak freely, think, make and grow artistic practices.
- The curriculum intentionally breaks apart the traditional methods that silo disciplines from each other. Our program is open to all media.
- We embrace a full range of studio and pragmatic studies including professional development for artists, the art of pedagogy, writing in the 21st century, archiving and the relevance of art history today.
- International students are welcome from far and wide.
- Every mentor and myself reviews every application and those who are not accepted into our program receive feedback on their application.
- Our application is super easy: 8 images, information about each image, resume and names of three references. The application is also a professional practice exercise, too, including questions for the artist to think about who they are as artists and their work.
- We have wonderful partnerships with schools, museums and other institutions, creating a coalition of those who believe in contemporary pedagogy for artists. They also support their students tremendously. The coalition is built to share our resources from Chautauqua but also between all of the members.
- We have funding: last year I was able to fully pay for every student who asked for aid (36 people!) and those who did not ask for aid, I was able to give them partial scholarships (2 people).
- Finally, check out our Instagram page to see photographs from our last season and more.